Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Top 10 Christmas Songs (Religious)

Right on the heels of the Christmas movies is gonna be the top 10 Christmas Songs. If you know me then you know that I go absolutely bonkers over Christmas music. I love it. I've already been listening to it nonstop since Thursday. I will not get tired of it at all. Most people I know get tired of me constantly pumping it in their ears but TOO BAD!!!!

Christmas music is cool because there is only like 5 songs but a million different versions of those 5 songs. So they all kinda have their own flavor to them. Making a Top Ten list of this caliber isn't easy. There are so many songs that's it's impossible to really pick 10 that are "the best." Plus like any other list it's purely subjective. So these 10 songs are the songs that make me really excited when they come on. The artists that I have included singing these songs are the versions that I think are the best. If you love another version, then so be it. Truth is, there isn't a bad Christmas song.

After much consideration, I've decided to split the list. I'm going to do 2 Top Ten lists. One will be religious and the other will be secular. Reason being that you can't really put them together because they have two completely different purposes and meanings. I actually much prefer the religious music because of those reasons and because it reminds me of being younger and being an active youth in my church. We used to always go Christmas Caroling when I was 13, 14, 15 years old and we had so much fun. Then we would all work together for our annual Christmas Cantata
that we would perform the Sunday before Christmas. Those were great times and ones that I miss very dearly. I wish I could still be a part of something like that.

10: Hark! The Herald Angels Sing



9: God Rest You Merry Gentlemen



8: O Little Town of Bethlehem



7: Away in a Manger



6: Silent Night



5: O Come All Ye Faithful



4: The First Noel



3: What Child Is This



2: Mary Did You Know



1: O Holy Night







As you can tell, O Holy Night is the granddaddy of all Christmas Songs to me. You don't get any better in my opinion. And Josh Groban's version is my all time favorite. Actually, Josh Groban anything is gonna be my favorite. (if you couldn't tell that already) Between he and Celine Dion, they could sing anything. And I believe they have two of the best Christmas Albums out there. So be a wise man and seek out their product. (Pun intended)

P.S. I realize that "Mary Did You Know" may not be a true Christmas song, but I always feel that it is. It talks about Jesus being a baby and well, that's Christmas enough for me! It's still one of the most powerful songs I've ever heard.

3 comments:

pard1959 said...

I love O Holy Night too! But one that I love to hear is Still, Still, Still.

It's interesting how we love Christmas music and usually don't grow weary of it. I think it's because we only listen to it for 4 to 6 weeks and then tuck 'em away for 11 months.

Merry Christmas, Mikey!

Kimber said...

O. M. G.
"As you can tell, O Holy Night is the granddaddy of all Christmas Songs to me. You don't get any better in my opinion. And Josh Groban's version is my all time favorite. Actually, Josh Groban anything is gonna be my favorite."
-------------> yep you guessed it, ME TOO<------------------
It's like those words came straight out of my mouth.
And Mary did you know is my #2!

Anonymous said...

I love those Christmas Songs!! I think we like them so much because we only hear them once a year, otherwise, we would be tired of them.

Megan